Tuesday 17 April 2012

Playlist U2 with Daniel Lanois


Daniel Lanois, Canadian composer and singer and extraordinary producer, has been in the studio with U2 on many albums since The Unforgettable Fire, 1984.

In 2008, when he was working with the band's No Line On The Horizon, we asked him to look back on those albums to your playlist U2.

            


1 - Pride (In The Name Of Love) - The Unforgettable Fire
This holds a special place in my heart because we should have recorded it at least 20 times! We tried in Slane Castle and there seemed to work. If I remember, Bono wanted the beating of drums in the choir, in a way - he had a memory about it in the tests - so we meet in the mixing room at Windmill Lane and we have not had a version of Pride that met our drummer. On Windmill, they had a drum sound that I liked, so I insisted that we built a concrete wall behind the drums to get Larry's that kind of sound stone wall. Surely the team came and built a wall of cement blocks behind the drums and the sound of Larry satisfy me - a great performance of Larry - then cut the version that went to the disk. Leaving the battery aside, I think that probably delivers the music in a way Bono is hitting the high notes.

2 - MLK - The Unforgettable Fire
This music has a sweetness that appeals to me. I used a microphone gorgeous Sony named C500, which has a velvety effect upon that sounds very well for Bono's voice and is one of those little moments that you want to be back to back.

3 - I Still Have not Found What I'm Looking For - The Joshua Tree
The story has been told before, but it is worth saying again: the battery, another great performance from Larry, was another song that I did not want to waste battery and Larry Edge inspired to come up with a nice chord sequence acoustic guitar, which seemed to generate good R &B; melodies for Bono. But we have not had one refrain: just came one morning when the Edge came home with the line "but I still have not found what I'm looking for." So the song found its identity, which stimulated a low very cute Adam, who must have played a dozen times to accommodate the endless chord changes. The background is my voice, the Edge and Eno singing at most of our lungs with energy. The song has great feeling and comforts me today.

4 - Exit - The Joshua Tree
This was a nice gift in the room of the band U2 has the ability to have spontaneous combustion and this song is a beautiful example of this type of job where you never know what will happen when you mix them in the band room. We call room metal and broken glass! Exit, in fact, was an extraction of a long jam, the shining jewel of this jam, and I remember long nights cutting the ribbon to take the best parts.

5 - Mothers of Disappeared - The Joshua Tree
I love this song like the marriage of humans playing instruments and technology. Eno came up with a kind of machine gun and bomb sounds, almost a soundtrack of music and painting with a strong image. It is a matter that should be looked at all the time - a large force coming and shoving in a small community to serve their own needs, even though spending are people disappearing.

6 - One - Achtung Baby
Achtung Baby was an incredible journey. The guys had in mind they wanted to do an album of European rock and roll, so they went to Hansa Studios in Berlin, where Iggy Pop and Bowie and Eno had worked - Eno found himself sitting in the same chair he sat in the years 70 and was a great place for innovation. That room old and wonderful orchestra led the song One, my favorite. That song started with a chord sequence and when I suggested a mixture of two Bono could come up with the melody. It was a song built up through many chapters. From what I remember, after the Christmas break and I went to Hansa Eno before the band arrived and I had that part of the Les Paul, what I call a mantra, and the Eno doubled and was a big surprise for the guys when they arrived. That's one thing to do for Bono to give more life to it with more sound, and thus it goes usually goes to the microphone and comes with something new that this was the case.

7 - Until The End Of The World - Achtung Baby
Flood came with a great mix here, I was his cheerleader. There was something in the equalizer on the islands that we use and that allowed us to have a sort of sweeping effect on the guitar, almost like a wah wah pedal being held on the island. I love the vitality and the speed of music.

8 - So Cruel - Achtung Baby
One of my favorites of the grooves Larry, about the maximum we can reach a performance of Motown or Sun Studios and with a simplicity and clarity which is always fun for me to hear.

9 - Love Is Blindness - Achtung Baby
I love the darkness of it, we hit on something there sonically.

10 - Beautiful Day - All That You Can not Leave Behind
This is a song that hit very well in the studio and went through many versions. The sequence of chords Bono, I believe, and a kind of rooted tradition that I call the Bo Diddley riff. I never grew out of the territory of the room. We did not know what to do, then Eno scored a minor hit drums and piano as a part of a loop and I played a telecaster in harmony with what provided much encouragement to the room and then came a big jam in the middle of the session, where Bono yelled "it 'sa beautiful day!" And then we went to lunch. When we returned, we realized that was a special moment and we transfer this idea of ​​the beautiful day for the beginning of the song, creating a chorus, and went from there. I'm singing background and Edge, Eno processed by the Lord who made us sound like a chorus.

11 - Grace - All That You Can not Leave Behind
I love this song, another one of those that I like to listen to the albums, you're listening to a nice blend of a spontaneous U2's music, cultivated by the production team of Eno and Lanois.

12 - Where The Streets Have No Name - The Joshua Tree
Another track that we fight, but there was always something at the beginning of the symphony that attracted everybody and it came from a demo that Edge had done at home. It has a strange marking of time, which disrupted the rhythm section, a thing very anti-rock and roll thing to do. I remember as a science teacher pointing people through the chord changes. In the end, she has this feeling enriching and perhaps the closest thing U2 has ever come to a dance song.

You can see U2's Jacknife Lee Playlist here: http://www.ultraviolet-u2.com/noticias/2012/03/31/u2com-relembra-my-u2-playlist/ # c1195

Source: U2.com


No comments: